Although I’ve never had to deal with the frustrations of insomnia, I’ve been plagued by bad dreams since childhood. It’s par for my nocturnal course; I’ve always had very vivid dreams. The good ones are exceptional and fulfilling, helping me make sense of various aspects of my waking life. On the flip, the bad ones can be traumatizing, gloomy and frightening.
I’ve experimented with lucid dreaming: making a solid attempt at awareness within the dream. I got the idea for this from a film I watched while on study abroad in England: Waking Life. On occasion, I’ve realized that I’m dreaming and therefore in total control of what happens and been able to control a few minor details. Once I even decided to fly. This only happened to me when the dream started off pleasant. I’ve never achieved cognition while having a nightmare, but I’d love to be able to so I can change the course of the dream.
One element has always been the same for me: whatever I’m thinking about when I fall asleep sets the tone of my dream and might even show up in a very literal sense. If I’m feeling anxious about the next day, I’ll feel anxious in my dreams. If I have just seen a wildly creative movie, I’ll have reveries that rival What Dreams May Come. A while back, I decided to write down some sleep affirmations to read and meditate on as I’m falling asleep. These are particularly helpful on days that haven’t gone so well, or before a day I’m dreading.
These affirmations keep me focused on what truly matters, and the truth about my life that I choose to accept. They keep the demons of self-doubt and dread at bay and help me sleep peacefully. Feel free to use these, or add your own in the comments below. I’d love to hear about your nighttime rituals that bring you peaceful sleep!
1. I recognize the miracle of my being. I am enough.
2. I am perfectly content to be me. I am good just as I am.
3. Good things are going to happen to me.
4. I am worthy of the very best in life and I now lovingly allow myself to accept it.
5. I attract only good things into my life.
6. I shall stay calm in moments of stress and anxiety, so as to allow positive thoughts and actions to manifest from me.
7. I am a competent woman. I believe in my abilities and express my true self with ease.
8. I attract only healthy and loving people into my life.
9. I accept and love my body as it is, and work to make it better.
10. I am safe. I trust more and I fear less. I am centered and grounded.
11. All is well in my world.
12. I open myself to receiving the abundance of the universe.
13. I lovingly forgive and release all of the past. I choose to fill my life with joy. I love and approve of myself.
14. I don’t worry about things I can’t control.
15. I will not worry about tomorrow. Tomorrow can worry about itself. (Matthew 6:34)
16. My courage is stronger than my fear.
17. I love the person I’ve become because I fought to become her.
18. I deserve the best, and I accept it now. All my needs and desires are met before I even ask.
19. I am safe in all my relationships, and I give and receive love.
20. I will rest easy now and peacefully drift off to sweet dreams.